Sunday, March 7, 2010

Late Church

So I've attended Savannah Christian's late church a couple of times...not a big fan. I have attended Savannah Christian a few times with a couple of friends of mine--both are great guys, and they have also recently joined the church. I cannot say I really enjoy it, however.

Here are a few thoughts:

1. Worship music is accompanied by too many bells and whistles, like smoke/fog and fancy lighting. They also take up a tithe, which is standard for most churches, but both me and my girlfriend agreed that we thought our money would not be best spent on keeping their fog machine and lights running.

2. They do communion every week, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's too impersonal. In the New Testament, believers would gather together for a meal, and communion would accompany this meal--so that it was actually the body of Christ coming together in communion with the Lord. Savannah Christian is too impersonal of a setting for communion to be anything like that...it is an individual and private thing there, and as such, seems to lose a lot of its meaning.

3. The church service is too impersonal. I noticed there were several individuals who were sitting off to themselves trying to soak it all in. However, you don't need to go to church to do that. One could simply download an Andy Stanley sermon online (which actually would probably be more rewarding) rather than waste their time going to a place where you just show up, keep to yourself, and are not bothered by other people trying to be all friendly and getting up in your business. I've talked to many people that like this type of church setting, because of the very fact that they can come and not really be bothered, and just blend into the crowd and do their own thing. What's the point? Church is about finding real Christian community with other believers and coming together in that community to seek and worship Jesus.

4. The church service seems like a show. See points 1 and 3. Also they meet in a theater, and for some reason everyone insists on standing. This poses a problem, however, as the floor itself is sloped downward, which means that this theater was not intended for standing, but sitting. But there are always those few annoying people who think it is their spiritual duty to insist on standing for every song, thus shaming everyone else in the building to stand as well. Darn you people.

5. The guy speaking was talking about spiritual gifts, and his intention seemed to be to get people plugged into the machine that is Savannah Christian Church. I usually get wary when churches start talking about spiritual gifts, because usually they are looking for someone to help them out with their programs and to keep the machine running. I think Christians ought to be able to develop their gifts, not simply to serve the machine that is the church, but to actually become creative individuals who make a difference in this world.

It would be good to take this with a grain of salt, since I am often very cynical when it comes to church. To their credit, I have heard Savannah Christian has done a lot of good in the community around Savannah. Although I must admit, I have been cut off a couple of times in traffic by people with the Savannah Christian Church decal on their window.

Did I mention that I think it is absolutely moronic to promote your beliefs with your vehicle? No one is going to look at how you drive and think, "man I wanna join that group!" The only thing you will succeed in doing in making somebody angry every now and then, and they'll usually just associate their negative feelings with whatever ideology you are trying to promote with your car.

7 comments:

  1. I think you're spot on with #5. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you have ever been to one of the morning services at Henderson, but I think you described it very well. Yesterday, everyone there was instructed to wear a name tag so it wouldn't be as impersonal. I have no idea how that is supposed to make people become more personal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea I have been to Henderson once or twice. They did the same thing with the name tags last night at Late Church also. another thing I hate is the forced time where you're instructed to shake hands or greet a couple of people next to you. It doesn't seem to actually help with the impersonal nature of the service too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the majority of your points, but I don't know of any churches that provide alternatives, so for me it wouldn't be a deal breaker. However whenever a church starts talking about gifts or other charismatic stuff I run for the door, and usually end up tripping over someone who has passed out in the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good observations.

    Like everyone has said, these are unfortunately pretty common issues. And there seem to be few alternatives.

    About #3 in particular: man, I agree. But as much as I hate it and wished services were more personal--as much as I've wished to be able to meet people in church settings, it absolutely terrifies me (me personally) to push myself into a crowd of 200 strangers and try to make friends. Granted, most churches don't help any. They give you 13.6 seconds to shake hands with people, which has never really taken me too far with anyone. And since instead of being a "meeting" it is a a "service" (TO/FOR the people, not made up of people), it is built around a show or presentation of some sort, which makes it hard to meet anyone, since it is not the kind of thing where personal involvement is fitting.

    For the most part, I don't think services are meant to be personal--or even if they can be. I do crave relationships, but I can empathize with being left alone in a service (if the alternative is opening up to strangers in a passing setting).

    I think some other sort of gathering is necessary for relationships to be built. The question for me then is what services ARE intended for, and if they are necessary.

    For lack of anything much better, I kind of like models in which there is a service (or large gathering) to draw in different kinds of people and expose them to Jesus, Scripture, and their core beliefs in perhaps a non-threatening environment, for the purpose of leading them into other settings where relationships can be built and the real work of a church body can be fulfilled.


    But this involves an entirely different framework because many people think sunday morning church should be primarily the meeting of God's church (or believers only). But I am OK with new frameworks.

    For those reasons, I admire what Northpoint and churches like it are trying to do; something better may form in the future, but I think that model is a good hybrid between biblical ecclesiology and western, individualistic culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have any ideas for alternatives or improvements?

    I don't think there are many ways to make a large church service any more personal or fulfilling. I think it should either be used to lead people to something deeper or be done away with.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know honestly. It's funny that you bring up Northpoint though, because I am not quite as uncomfortable with their model, but it's very similar. I guess one big difference is that Savannah Christian doesn't seem to emphasize getting involved in small groups--although I am pretty sure that they do have small groups.

    I think I do know why the Northpoint model doesn't bug me as much, however. Both Savannah Christian and Northpoint services seem somewhat "seeker sensitive," in their model, but only Northpoint I would say is genuinely seeker sensitive. Andy Stanley speaks of one of Jesus' main focuses being to "seek and save that which is lost," and so Northpoint services are organized with non-Christians in mind.

    I think Savannah Christian's services are organized more with believers in mind...despite their attempt to be seeker sensitive.

    The tough thing is though, if the goal really is to get people to come who are nonbelievers or Christians who have pretty much given up on church, then it needs to look a lot less like Church (because it is not really a "Church" gathering if the point is to get non-Christians and seekers to come). So what Savannah Christian could do is save communion for a more intimate setting, play songs that are less worshipful (but still play Christian music), and gear the messages more towards nonbelievers and seekers.

    I noticed the sermons at Savannah Christian are generally given with the assumption that most of the audience is Christian, with only a little snippet at the end encouraging people who don't know God to pray the little prayer thing and get saved. If maybe much of the sermon actually addressed those who were seekers and nonbelievers, however, it would be a lot more useful. They could save the more intimate worship gatherings and deeper bible study for more personal and smaller gatherings of the church, in small/cell groups.

    ReplyDelete